《波士顿法律》中的一个案例

浏览量:17 次

这几天睡觉前,我都在看美国电视剧《波士顿法律》(Boston Legal)。

这是一部关于律师的电视剧,每一集中都有不同案件的庭审。所谓庭审,就是原告和被告双方根据法律,提出自己的argument(论点),并且证明对方的argument是错误的。这非常考验一个人的思维和逻辑能力。

在第一季第15集中,有这样一个诉讼:新郎在婚礼上悔婚,当着众多亲朋好友的面,扬长而去,将新娘一个人扔在婚礼台上。于是,新娘将新郎告上法庭,要求赔偿。

新娘的argument是:你毁了我的婚礼,你理应负责一切后果。新郎的argument是:婚礼是终生大事,我必须慎重,我有不同意的权力。双方就在法庭上展开了争论。

这个案件的最后结果是新郎败诉,赔了一大笔钱。新郎败诉的原因就是下面这段对话。这段对话里,新郎犯了两个严重的错误,这完全都是律师设下的圈套,大家能看出来吗?

Groom: I absolutely planned to marry her.

新郎:我的确是打算娶她的。

Lawyer: Well? What happened, Mike?

律师:那么,到底发生了什么呢,Mike?

Groom: I just... I panicked.

新郎:我只是......我只是很恐惧。

Lawyer: At that particular moment?

律师:在那个时刻吗?

Groom: Look, I had a phobic kind of thing about losing control of my life. Frannie, she, she picked out the caterer, the church, the minister, the reception hall, and it just hit me. That wedding was a microcosm of marriage, with every decision to be made by her. I just panicked.

新郎:听着,我很害怕失去对自己生活的控制。她,Frannie,她安排了结婚宴席、教堂、牧师、接待仪式。这些都让我恐惧。那个婚礼就是像是婚姻的一个缩影。所有决定都是她一个人做的,我只是恐惧。

Lawyer: Didn't you think of how embarrassing it would be for her?

律师:你没想过你那样做会让她多窘迫吗?

Groom: And for me, too. I was the one standing up there looking like an idiot, but we were at the "speak now or forever hold your peace" part. What other choice did I have?

新郎:我也一样窘迫。我站在那里就像个傻瓜。但是,那个时刻是"要么说出来,要么一辈子沉默",我还能有其他选择吗?

Lawyer: As I understand your testimony, you just weren't ready to get married.

律师:就我理解你的证言,你只是还没准备好结婚。

Groom: That's right.

新郎:是的。

Lawyer: It's a huge decision. It affects your whole life.

律师:那不是个小决定,它将影响你的一生。

Groom: Yes.

新郎:是的。

Lawyer: It affects her life.

律师:它也将影响她的一生。

Groom: Of course.

新郎:当然。

Lawyer: You, you seem like a considerate sort of guy. Are you?

律师:你应该是那种考虑事情很周到的人,是吗?

Groom: I think so.

新郎:我想是的。

Lawyer: You must've sensed that, uh, when you left her at the altar like that, it would be a big number on her. You weren't insensitive to that.

律师:你一定有想到过。当你把她抛弃在结婚礼坛上时,那对她将是一个巨大的打击。你不会对这个一点概念也没有。

Groom: No, but again... what else could I have done?

新郎:不,我想重复一遍......除那之外我还能做什么呢?

Lawyer: Well, yes. Would it be unreasonable to say.... that the groom incurs a duty to perhaps sort out his feelings before 30 minutes into the ceremony?

律师:你可以这样说。但是下面的说法是不是合情合理的......新郎有责任在婚礼前30分钟理清自己的情绪?

Groom: Well, uh...

新郎:啊,这个......

Lawyer: That's not unreasonable, is it? for the groom to be sure before he walks down the aisle? Is that unreasonable?

律师:这是合理的,难道不是吗?当新郎走到牧师面前的时候,他应该心中已经拿定了主意。这难道是不合理要求吗?

Groom: I guess not.

新郎:我想不是。

Lawyer: Ever tell her you're sorry?

律师:你曾经对她说过你很抱歉吗?

Groom: Of course I did.

新郎:当然,我说过。

Lawyer: Want to tell her now?

律师:你想现在再对她说吗?

Groom: Frannie, I'm sorry.

新郎:Frannie,我很抱歉。

 
®关于本站文章™ | 若非注明原创,默认 均为网友分享文章,如有侵权,请联系我们™
㊣ 本文永久链接: 《波士顿法律》中的一个案例